This is the fourth year we will offer Pick Your Own Strawberries and Sugar Snap Peas.
Pick Your Own Strawberries:
Our strawberries are planted on raised beds, some are plastic lined, all have plenty of straw in between the rows to keep you and your kids from getting muddy (although we can't guarantee you'll be mud free.)
If you use your own containers, remember that keeping the berries more than 5 inches deep will bruise the lower berries.
Tips on how to pick strawberries:
1. Grasp the stem just above the berry between the forefinger and thumb and pull with a slight twisting motion.
2. With the stem broken about one half inch from the berry, allow it to roll into the palm of your hand. Repeat until you have 3 to 4 berries.
3. Carefully place (dont't throw) the fruit into your containers.
4. Don't overfill the containers or try to pack the berries down.
General picking tips:
1. Be carefull that your feet and knees don't damage the plants or fruit in or along the edge of the row.
2. Pick only the berries that are fully red. Strawberries will not ripen after you pick them; so if you pick a green one, you will have a sour berry. Pick all ripe berries, big and small. Often, the smaller berries are sweeter - sweetness also depends on the variety.
3. Berries to be used immediately may be picked any time, but if you plan to hold the fruit for a few days, try to pick in the early morning or on a cool cloudy day. Berries picked during the heat of the day become soft and are easily bruised and will not keep.
4. Avoid placing picked berries in the sunshine any longer than possible. Cool them as soon as possible after picking.
When you get home:
1. Don't wash the berries until you are ready to use them. Washing makes them more prone to spoiling.
2. Pour them our into shallow pans and remove any mushed, soft or rotting berries and refridgerate.
Note: We will have a limited quantity of fresh picked berries daily. They are on a first-come first-served basis. Pick Your Own Sugar Snap Peas:
Along with the Pick Your Own Strawberries we also offer Pick Your Own Sugar Snap Peas.
For the next few weeks, there will be sweet crunchy sugar snap peas available to pick for your self. Although you can cook this pea, you might find that the pea don't make it past the ride home. These are the sweet edible pod type and children love to eat them.
Be sure to ask which rows are young and tender.
We are open:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 - 5:00
Saturday 8:00 - 3:00
We are located just south of Leesport, Pa near the intersection of Route 61 and Snyder Road. Click on the map to the right for directions.
Click on the Map for Directions